I seem to have developed an allergy to hair dye or hair bleach, which is a shame really because it means I’ll have to go grey (ish) but I guess it’s good as well because I’ll save time and money – clouds, silver linings and all that stuff.
I thought I’d had an allergic reaction last time I had my hair done but I didn’t really believe I had, I thought I was imagining it but yesterday I know I wasn’t imagining it. I wish I knew if it was the colour or the bleach though – I’m pretty sure it was the bleach and I’m not just talking a bleach burnt skull I’m talking glands on the back of my neck like golf balls.
It all started in the shower when I was rinsing my hair. See the hairdresser is just over the road and she lets me walk home and rinse it off myself after the hour processing time. So everything felt normal, bit of bleach itch in a few spots but when I started shampooing I thought – wow, I have a really weird shaped skull – it’s really lumpy, okay, oh wow, I don’t think it usually feels like this. Then after I got out and dried it I got a headache and I had some panadols and then I ntoiced that the veins in my temples were bulging and lumpy, like they get when I have a migraine, but bigger. Then I got a mirror and looked at the back of my neck and these two glands were massive and when I tried to bend my head back I couldn’t because it was so swollen. And then I thought I was probably about to go into anaphylactic shock and die. So I told my daughter what was happening and to call an ambulance if I came in clutching my throat because I probably wouldn’t be able to talk by then and I had an antihistamine and went and had a lie down.
When daz came home I got him to run his fingers over my skull and he said it felt like there was a bag of marbles in there. I’ll have to go over and see the hairdresser and ask her if she’s using something new or if I’ve just developed an allergy but it’s definitely put me off doing it again. These things tend to get worse each time I believe.
Today the swelling has gone down but it’s red and a bit itchy. No scabs thank god – Dr Google told me that some people get weeping sores and faces so swollen they can’t open their eyes and blocked windpipes and full body rashes and if this thing escalates each time I’d be a little concerned that one of those might lie down the track for me.
Anyway it was weird, and a bit scary.