You may remember that about a month ago I was keeping busy varnishing cigarette butts. I needed them for an assignment I was doing. Lizzie’s friend Ellie was my smoker. I’d tell her to smoke more and she’d get to it. She’d save them in little sandwich bags then Daz would pick them up and bring them to me. One day she said to him – What does Jane do with them? And he said – Well I give them to her then she varnishes them, then I don’t know really. But not only was I varnishing butts, I was making rolled paper beads and paper mache bowls and magazine page flowers and decorated light switches. I was working and gluing my fingers to the table.
We were in a group of four and we had to make a display for the library and we decided to do ours on reduce reuse recycle. And so I decided to make things because that’s what I like doing and I filled this little display cabinet and it looked bloody impressive.
And this was the point of the cigarettes. They wrapped around both sides. It was a beautiful globe picture, almost like velvet. It was almost a shame to stick dirty old fags to it.
And I made the paper mache bowls
And I made these really cool light switch covers. Well they’re not actually covers they’re just the light switches decorated.
And I made these rolled paper beads out of magazine pages and then Catherine turned them into earrings.
And then I made these ones using an old black and white text only paper magazine and they looked pretty cool with the orange beads on them. Retro.
And then these flowers turned out so well. Everyone was super impressed with them. These ones I made using pages from a book on flowers. The paper was kind of sturdy. I tried making some using magazine pages but they were kind of flimsy.
And then I decided to make some out of a novel I found (sorry Dan Brown). And I think these were my favourite thing of all because they were just small and sturdy and pretty.
And I made some magnets as well for giveaways and we had to set up a display of relevant books and pamphlets and whatever. Anyway I don’t have the mark back and I’m a little pissed that it’s only worth 30% of our total mark. But the other 70% is an assignment where we have to write a proposal for an event at a library and write a media release and make posters and pamphlets (although I’m doing a tshirt) and do a budget and a timeline and a risk assessment and mine is bloody awesome if I may say so myself and it has seriously made me consider going on to do events management. Because I do love to manage an event. I don’t think my kids ever had a birthday party where a spreadsheet wasn’t involved. But thats a bit down the track yet.
Oh, yeah and on this display assignment we had to work in teams of four and part of the mark is for a report you each have to write talking about the process and your involvement and what everyone else did and the others don’t get to read it so you can slag everyone if you want to. But I didn’t because I thought we all worked pretty well together because we were all such different personalities. BUT then we overheard one guy in our group telling the teacher that it had all been his idea and that he collected the cigarette butts and painted them and well whatever else he thought he did. But like I said he must really think he did it because he said it in front of us and we all know he didn’t so he’s obviously suffering from false memory syndrome. And he wouldn’t be the first.
Oh and by the way – how do I change those little avatar profile photos along the top there? I thought I did – but obviously not only did I not but somehow now there are a whole lot of stupid other ones I didn’t want or put there or know jack shit about at all.